7 Interesting Benefits Of Vitamin D
1. Sunshine vitamin is often coined popularly as a synonym to Vitamin D while educating young ones in schools. The fact that sunshine is the source for this important vitamin is best understood with the term. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin and its family includes Vitamins D1, D2 and D3.
2. One of the most important functions of Vitamin D is to strengthen our bones and teeth. Vitamin D regulates the absorption of micro minerals like calcium and phosphorus which are vital for healthy bones. The deficiency of the vitamin impedes the absorption of calcium by the bones which then tend to become weak and lead to problems like osteoporosis (fragile bones) or osteomalacia (soft bones).
3. Another important function of Vitamin D in our body is to improve the immune system in our body. Deficiency of Vitamin D results in weakening of natural resistance power of the human body to fight the attack of disease causing micro-invaders or infections to our body. Consequently, wide range of minor ailments like cold, flu etc crop up frequently.
4. The recent researches on Vitamin D have also found a strong correlation between various cardio vascular diseases like stroke and other heart ailments. Another important study pointed out that Vitamin D has an important role in preventing chronic diseases like multiple sclerosis etc. One can considerably reduce the risk of these major diseases by maintaining the right balance of this vital nutrient in the body.
5. Similarly, research studies and opinion of health experts on the subject suggests that the incidence of fatal diseases like cancer can be reduced dramatically. Researches point out that by increasing the levels of Vitamin D3 in the body could reduce incidence of several types of cancers to half. The risks of colorectal cancers, prostrate cancers and host of other cancers can be appreciably reduced by 30-50% if the vitamin D status in our bodies is kept at an optimal level.
6. Pregnant women are advised to maintain their Vitamin D levels for the healthy growth of fetus. Pre-enclampsia is one of the serious complications during pregnancy which is linked to Vitamin D deficiency. It has been observed that insufficiency of vitamin D in the body could lead to C-section deliveries. Most women with adequate Vitamin D levels could go through normal deliveries in comparison to those with its deficiency. Since Vitamin D is critical for muscle function, which is vital for normal birthing, women with sufficient levels of Vitamin D during the delivery time could possibly avoid C- section. Lack of Vitamin D during fetal stage could lead to problems like wheezing, asthma etc in the new born is also being researched.
7. Vitamin D thus remains a vital nutrient from birth to death. While getting adequate sunshine exposure is the best way to stimulate vitamin D production in the body, there are few food items like shrimp, sardines, etc which are found rich in Vitamin D. Besides, there are quality diet supplements available in the market for the replenishing the body with adequate quantities of Vitamin D in our body.